Last Updated on: September 30, 2022
Working in the data science field can be exciting and rewarding. It is among the most lucrative opportunities for those who are not from a technical background. Being the world’s fastest-growing major economy, India offers great scope for data-related roles like data analytics, data architects, data scientists and big data managers. Around 93,000 jobs in this field were vacant at the end of August 2020 in India and experts project 11 million new openings by 2026. In fact, India’s Big Data industry is poised to form 32% of the global market and grow to $20 billion by 2026.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Data Science?
- 2 Benefits of Data Science Courses
- 3 What are the Criteria for Choosing a Top Data Science Course?
- 4 Essential Knowledge and Skills Required for Data Science
- 5 Data Science Architect Program: GeekLurn
- 6 Advanced Programme in Data Sciences: IIM Calcutta
- 7 Certificate Program in Data Science for Business Decision Making: IIM Kozhikode
- 8 Advanced Certification in Data Science and AI: IIT Madras
- 9 Wrapping Up
- 10 FAQs
What is Data Science?
Data Science involves the extraction and analysis of raw data from relevant sources for measuring success and planning for future goals. Data science aims to help individuals and organisations make better decisions in the future. The benefits of this field have boosted the popularity of data science courses with placement.
Benefits of Data Science Courses
It is a good idea to do some research to identify the best institute for data science, especially one with placement guarantee. Such a course will teach you different aspects of data science and its application in the business field. Before starting a data science course with placement guarantee, check whether it offers you a chance to interact with industry experts and gain first-hand knowledge through real-world projects.
Some of the many benefits of a data science certification course are:
Career Growth – You can advance your career by upskilling, as data science is a growing field that is being used by all industries for better decision making.
Updated with Trends – You can get exposure to the latest industry trends and remain abreast of the developments in the rapidly-evolving field of data science.
Flexibility – You have the freedom to join any industry since data science is being used across sectors, healthcare to finance and from retail to entertainment.
Structured Education – A well-designed curriculum will take you through the complexities of data science in an easy-to-understand way.
Learn Data Science Tools – You can learn how to use some of the most powerful and popular data science tools being used by businesses and individuals for better decision making.
Practical Applications – The best institute for data science will make placement with a leading company possible by providing you exposure to practical applications, which may range from fraud detection, risk evaluation, and targeted advertising to route planning and advanced image or speech recognition.
Enrolling in the best institute for a data science course with placement ensures that you can propel your career prospects by learning concepts from experts.
What are the Criteria for Choosing a Top Data Science Course?
The choice of course can impact your initial job prospects as well as define the trajectory of your career growth. So, it’s important to choose wisely. Here are some criteria for choosing a data science course for beginners:
- Choose one that doesn’t have an entrance exam.
- Make sure the course is offered by a reputed institute. You can check whether the institute is a certified member of NASSCOM.
- Check the course curriculum to ensure it covers the most relevant segments of the data science field.
- Ensure the course curriculum includes live interactive sessions with industry experts.
- Make sure the course offers you experience in working on real-world projects, which you can add to as relevant experience to your profile.
- The course should be suitable for students from both IT and non-IT backgrounds.
- The institute should offer payment of fees in easy EMIs. You can opt for an institute that begins the EMIs only after you have secured your first job.
- You can select a course that offers money back guarantee if you are unsatisfied.
The best institute for a data science course comes with a 100% placement guarantee, which is the icing on the cake.
Essential Knowledge and Skills Required for Data Science
Data Sciences is all about studying and analysing information to make better decisions in the future. So, an interest in using numbers or statistics to make predictions is recommended for students wishing to pursue a career in data science. Clarity and knowledge of the following mathematical concepts are great, if you are looking to make a career in the data sciences area:
- Statistics (Frequentist and Bayesian)
- Linear Algebra
- Basic calculus
Another requirement for data sciences is the ability to apply your knowledge to real-world situations. The data science field involves different fields like data analyst, data engineer, data scientist, and machine learning engineer, with each position requiring certain essential skills.
Here’s a look at the skills required to make a career in data sciences:
Knowledge of Programming Tools – It is a must for all aspects of data learning. Data Science requires professionals to know programming languages like Python, R, and SQL. There are also programming tools used to extract data from various sources, clean and transform unstructured messy data, and ensure effective data visualisation.
Data Visualisation and Communication – A must for a data analyst and data scientist, as these need to coordinate with different stakeholders to understand the problem and present a solution.
Data Intuition – An important skill if you are looking to become a data scientist or a machine learning engineer.
Knowledge of Statistics and Machine Learning – This is a prerequisite for data scientists and machine learning engineers. They need to be well-versed in regression, clustering, SVM, Trees and Forests, Naïve Bayes, and Ensembles.
Data Wrangling – Data engineers and data scientists need to have knowledge and skill of transforming and mapping raw data to make it more appropriate and valuable for analysis purposes.
Apart from having the technical knowledge of various mathematical and statistical techniques and programming tools, data scientists and analysts need to be creative. It also helps to have excellent presentation skills and problem-solving ability.
If you are interested in this field, it’s a good idea to check out data science courses with guaranteed placements. You should also look for courses that offer project experience certificates, as this can improve your prospects. Here are some of the best courses to consider to kickstart your career:
Data Science Architect Program: GeekLurn
If you are looking for the best data science course with 100% placement, you must check out the one offered by NASSCOM-partner GeekLurn. The curriculum is structured to help you master Python and R vocabulary. It is ideal for anyone who wishes to build a strong data science base or upskill to advance their career. Pursuing this course allows you to have your theoretical, conceptual or project-related queries resolved by industry experts and mentors. It also offers the opportunity to participate in workshops and live webinars to give you a holistic learning experience. Not just that, you can develop your communication skills by sharing ideas with your workmates as well as networking with industry leaders.
Here are some of the main features of this data science online course with placements:
- The program spans 24 months, including
- 6 months of live interactive classes
- 18 months of sponsored project work at Authorised Research Centres funded by IISC, ISB and IIM.
- 320+ hours of live training sessions
- 1.5 years of real-time experience certificate from recognised research centres
- Scholarships from day one of up to ₹2 lakhs, based on research project types
- 50+ sponsored funded research projects
- Opportunity to conduct research work with Singapore-based GeekLurn AI.
The main syllabus includes an introduction to data science, statistics and probability, EDA and data visualisation, time series analysis, sequences and file operations and NumPy, Pandas and Matplotlib. Get to work on real-world projects in healthcare/pharma, chip design/semiconductor, gaming, switch-gear and electrical, education, agriculture and cloud computing industries. After you complete the course, you have a 100% job guarantee, which is offered in collaboration with pan-India HR consulting firms.
The data science with placement course prepares you to be industry-ready and gears you up for a successful career.
Advanced Programme in Data Sciences: IIM Calcutta
The objective of this course is to introduce students to different techniques and tools for handling, managing and interpreting data. It is suitable for working professionals who require knowledge of Tableau, Python, Arena, R, @Risk and SPSS Modeler. The program duration is for one year and includes two campus visits spanning a total of 10 days (5 days for each visit). At almost ₹5 lakhs, the program fee is on the higher side compared to other courses. To be eligible for this course, you need to be a working manager with experience of at least three years. You also need to have completed your graduation (10+2+3) and post-graduation in any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks.
Certificate Program in Data Science for Business Decision Making: IIM Kozhikode
This course introduces difficult concepts of data science and machine learning algorithms in a simple format with an emphasis on real-world business applications. It is designed for managers with 200+ content hours available. The features include daily doubt resolution sessions, 20+ live learning sessions, high performance-coaching, three industry projects, career mentorship sessions and case-based pedagogy. The program is ideal for managers and aspiring managers, MBA graduates and professionals in various domains. You need to have at least 50% marks and a minimum of one year of work experience. The syllabus is in the form of videos, cases and projects.
Advanced Certification in Data Science and AI: IIT Madras
This is a 7-month course with live class sessions offering 1:1 mentorship. You will master all the basic and advanced level skills required in the field of data science, deep learning, AI and machine learning. The key features of the program are 50+ industry projects and case studies and training in soft skills. However, 400 hours of applied learning can be quite strenuous and time-consuming. Further, you get only two days of campus immersion at IIT Madras. Only a few seats are available, which makes it difficult to get through the admission process.
Data has emerged as the most valuable source in today’s connected world, with more than 90% of businesses using data for making their strategic decisions. The growing use of data makes data science an attractive career choice. The essential hard and soft skills required to become a successful data scientist or analyst can be acquired through specialised courses.
If you are looking for the best data science course with placement guarantee, consider GeekLurn’s data science architect certification program, which can lay a strong foundation for the growth of your career in data science. The two-year program comes with a 100% money-back guarantee and includes over 320 hours of interactive sessions with experts, along with an opportunity to conduct research work at GeekLurn AI Singapore. Another advantage of this program is the 100% job guarantee.
With the successful completion of this certified data science course, you’ll be able to:
- Process a raw dataset for a given task.
- Segregate relevant data.
- Identify missing data.
- Pick the correct model architecture to use.
- Code a machine learning model and train it on processed data.
- Validate the model’s performance and understand techniques to improve it.
The time is ripe to enrol into a focused course and begin your journey in data science. The field is poised to grow, and being industry-ready will help you target the best opportunities.
1. Which is the best Data Science course in India?
Over 320 hours of live interactive classes by senior data scientists.
Offers Research Project Experience certificate
100% Job guarantee as we have tied up with top Consulting Firms
Provides an opportunity to work with GeekLurn AI in Singapore
You can get a scholarship of up to Rs. 2 Lakhs based on the type of project.
You can pay your EMIs after you complete the course and get a job.
2. As a fresher, how can I start my career in data science?
3. Can I learn data science in 3 months?
4. Is it easy to switch careers to data science after 5 years of experience in a different field?
1) Focus more on Python: Python is the most accessible programming language and easy to learn which makes coding faster compared to other programming languages. If you have no experience in programming then just choose Python and move on.
2) Avoid online courses: Instead, choose a rigorous and well-structured course like ours. The 2-year long data science architect course by Geeklurn is one of the best data science courses in India.
3) Gain Practical Exposure: At GeekLurn, we ensure all our students get involved in research projects. We also offer opportunities to our students to do a research project at Geeklurn AI Singapore.